7.11.2008

The Soundtracks of Leszek Jankowski

Over the past several weeks I have become obsessed with tracking down the music of Leszek (or Lech) Jankowski, particularly with the soundtracks he wrote for the animations of the Brother's Quay. While there are a few songs available on his website, and there is a link to download his soundtrack to The Street of Crocodiles, there is remarkably little else available from him online (and it seems that he has not yet released an album of his work). Of course there's the avant-jam album Kultikula he released with a group of Polish jazz musicians, but that sounds about like many other pick-up groups jamming out on a batch of acid, and is a far cry from the dream-like and discordant soundtrack to Rehearsals For Extinct Anatomies:



There's also vague torrents out there, but was no good link to his soundtrack to Institute Benjamenta, which was released on cd, but only in a very limited number.



I'm not quite sure what the best way of financially supporting Leszek might be, but it felt to me that since I find his music so brilliant that the best thing I could do was to make it more widely available. Enjoy and pass it on.

12 comments:

womanimal said...

jankowski's music is indeed as gorgeous as the quay brothers are disquieting. chri sturned me on to both. there's a captivating part in the benjamenta soundtrack that is so simple and beautifyl--it sounds like a heartbeat/waltz made out of a submarine and an upright bass. ugh, so good. thanks for the links.

Ergo Phizmiz said...

This is incredible .... many, many thanks for posting this, particularly the Institute Benjamenta soundtrack ... thank goodness for blogposts like this ... have you also come across the dmtlsmerzbau blogs containing the music of Zdenek Liska? ... cheers ... Ergo Phizmiz

Tait McKenzie said...

@time travel... No I haven't, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for posting and you're welcome for the music.

Dan Bashara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan Bashara said...

Thanks for this! Having just finished the film, I don't think I could live without the music. Do you happen to know anything about the choral song during the "Can you hear me?" scene?

. said...

Thank you so very much for this. I'm a huge fan of the film and the music, but I never managed to track the soundtrack down. But like Dan wrote: it ís a pity about the missing "Can you hear me"-track, I do love that one so much.

Dan Bashara said...

The Institute Benjamenta music is still on maximum rotation, four months later, so thank you again for that. A question about your link to the Street of Crocodiles soundtrack: it leads to an odd .mov file called "Sleep" instead of to the Quay music. Is this intentional?

Psychodan said...

why cant i download the soundtrack to Streets of Crocodile? It downloads some movie called Sleep.

Tait McKenzie said...

Yes that is strange, I'm not sure but most likely it was an old link to that file on someone else's server and they've changed around their links? Sorry. I originally found it by googling it.

Tzadik said...

Greetings, Tate

1stly i must say ((thanks)) in advance for the Institute Benjamenta
zip, which i just d/loaded a min. ago :) As a HUGE fan of all things Brothers Quay, i do indeed own the dvd of I.B., but i hadn't $$ the Jankowski soundtrack yet (which i think is still available via his official website) and while the aural landscapes are wildly important within all Quay films (especially to the brothers), it's always an exciting & rewarding experience to take in the compositions (those that are available!) on their own.

-The soundtrack/composition(s) that i'm dying to get a hold of more than any other is the brilliantly dark & ethereal music from the Quay's 1979 debut "Nocturna Artificialia" which i instantly fell in love w. during the 1st viewing. It's written mostly for organ, and it's some of the most interesting music that i know of within the 20-21st century organ repertoire (<--well, it SHOULD be better known & have a permanent place there!!)

What are your thoughts on the film/the music?

I could go on & on about the Quays, cinema, Jankowski, music... but this has already been too long-winded, no? :-)

cheers!

Psychodan said...

I cant download it, it downloads some film called "Sleep". It's interesting, but i REALLY want that soundtrack :(

Can u help me?

Tait McKenzie said...

I didn't upload these to begin with but found them through searching on Google. Perhaps you might have luck with that too?