I was pointed at this writing model yesterday called telescopic text, where the simple sentence "I made tea" can be expanded through hyperlinks into a much lengthier and involved narrative. What I find interesting about it is that it illustrates the a difference in depth of detail useful to writers in evoking a scene- whether in just clearly stating a single action or going to great lengths to describe every detail of that action, each being necessary depending on where the focus of attention is supposed to be aimed in a narrative.
This also reminds me of a writing model called the snowflake method, which I heard about years ago and often find useful for fleshing out uncertain ideas for stories. The concept is to start with a on sentence description of the plot, then expand it into a paragraph to cover the major narrative events, then into a page, etc, each iteration allowing for more room of detail until one could find themselves with a whole novel on their hands based off and contained in the one sentence.
8.19.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
the telescopic text link is addictive. i can't stop clicking to expand. :)
I know, it's fun isn't it? It would be curious to see the exercise done with a more interesting phrase, maybe even expanding into an absurdist adventure, but I like how the simple action of making tea is shown to be a lot less simple than at first glance.
Post a Comment