5.25.2008

Booking the Future

As an aspiring writer I often get concerned over the tenuous future of literature in our increasingly digital and instantaneous world. A week or so ago I tried to blog about an article discussing the potential end of Borders Books [via], which seems to ominously predict the end of reading, along with a friend's comment that he just didn't have the time or attention for novels. While thes kinds of commentaries seem all too easy to find these days, it is a relief to read this article by the Observer's literary editor on the explosively expanding market and opportunities for authors in this day and age. As he puts it: "To be a writer in the English language today is to be one of the luckiest people alive." (!)

1 comment:

Edward S Gault said...

I share your concern about this. I can't immagine Borders actually going out of business though. I wonder if the readership will change form rather than decline.